Thursday, 13 March 2014

Vallejo Game Colour Review



So I'll admit I've been a die hard GW paint user from my beginning in this hobby in '93. But with the last GW paint change I've decided to try Game/Model Colour paint ranges, not because I didn't like to new GW range (Love the metallics and washes) but because I's thought it was a now or never moment.

I have to say I find VGC very hit and miss, for example Charred Brown and Tan are now must haves for me from now on as they make painting flesh so easy and eye popping. Now on the other hand Gory Red looks rather nice but is a bugger to paint on in less then 2/3 layers. But the worst of the look is Gunmetal... it's so shiny even when shaken for some time and washed with GW Nuln Oil.





The Vallejo come in nice little dropper style bottles which don't dry up! But are  a pain in the arse.. I always end up dropping to much or too little.

Still at least the paints are a lot cheaper than GWs, list prices for Vallejo paints are £1.80 for 17ml where as GW are £2.25 for 12ml overall that equates to a GW paint being around 80% more expensive. But having said that dew to new Royal Mail rules on sending water-based paints have changed too the following no more than four containers of up to 150ml each can be sent in one parcel, whether in the UK or internationally.

That means you must break down orders for paints into groups of four and send each group separately in order to comply with the law.


You can join the petition here: Post are Paint

The dropper bottles can clog sometimes, but that's the worst experience possible with the Vallejo GameColor bottles, and it's nothing that a paper clip kept handy can't resolve in seconds.

So what's your take on these? Like them or prefer another range?

10 comments:

  1. I like The Army Painter's warpaints range at present and I'm experimenting with their colour primers. The warpaint range come in the same drop bottle format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Have lots of army painters refs and primer cans but I'm still using lots of GW references (some even from the first ranges).
      I do like Game colours because they have a nice texture. Some of their refercnes ar ea bit less to my taste but that just personnal.

      Delete
    2. Yet to try AP yet, but at some point I'll give there range a pop. As for coloured Primer i don't think I'll bother.. too much of a Black Primer fan. Lots of people say about AP's dip.. but I'd rather use the GW washes to the same effect.

      Delete
    3. Totally agree, I still use a lot of Citadel paints but I'm not a fan of the new range, I think it went down hill when they started with the Foundry paints, they had something that wasn't broken and didn't need fixing, as near as I can tell none of the new range translates too well as direct replacement of the previous colours.

      Delete
    4. I'm a massive fan of a black undercoat too but it makes a nice change to use the primers. When I get around to posting up photo's of the latest army you can check them out. In regard to the dips, I bought all three but I'm not a fan after using them, too gloopy for my liking BUT they do an ink range of quick shade that works well, although i;m yet to test the newer coloured additions, the purple one will be tested on my new Dark Elves when I finally pick up a brush to start painting them.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love some of the new GW range Cermite White is the best white out of pure coverage. Rackarh Flesh (Or whatever it's called) and Standard Mech Grey are amazing. I'd be lost without Nuln Oil and Druchii Violet washes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge fan of the vallejo model colour especially their flesh tones. Their washes I think are quite excellent, huge pigment and generous flow agent make them an assembly line painter's dream. Their dropper bottles will clog sooner or later, but you waste very little and if ur using a wet palette; forget about it, a bottle of pale flesh will get you through 3k of skaven (200 minis) easy.
    The AP washes (not the dip) in strong and dark tone are great but they still aren't as great as devlan mud and badab black.
    I think the AP spray primers are very good when used properly. If u hold them more than 7 inches away from your target when priming bad things will happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to start using a wet palette but as I don't batch paint I've been putting it off as I don't find my paint dries up that fast with only 1 or 2 figures on the go.

      Delete
  5. I made the switch to Vallejo about 10 years ago and haven't looked back since! My Vallejo paints last a very long time, even when painting large quantities of figures. If your bottle blocks pull the top part of the dropper off, remove the blockage with a paperclip, and give it a clean. I can't remember the last time I had to do that.

    My only gripe with Vallejo is their Game Color metallics are pretty crap whereas their Model Color metallics are really great. So, find a conversion chart and use them instead.

    And the most important thing is that the paint smells like cola bottles! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...