Thursday, 9 October 2014

Army Painter Review


So alittle  while ago I found myself being drawn away from VGC paints alittle to some of the Army Painter range.

Now I still love the VGC range (My VGC review can be found HERE) and won't change fully over to AP as I happen to use 5/6 paint ranges from MP to Citadel.


For this review I'm just going to be talking about the Warpaints rather then the Dips and Sprays (Both of which I haven't used yet).


The Warpaints Range

The Warpaints range is a rather small range.: Only 36 colours, among them 27 regular acrylics, 5 metallics, 1 varnish and 3 inks. Dew to the way AP paints are used with a Quickshade (I don't use this method) the paints are rather bright and aren't paired for ease of highlighting. This doesn't really effect me as i mix with other ranges and use my own dirty wash method.

The first thing you'll notice is their dropper bottle design (Like VGC). Some people love flip-tops and  some dropper bottles, it really depends on you, but one thing is certain: dropper bottles keep the paint fresher because their is less air contact. Trouble is there is always wastage unless using a wet palette.

The AP metalics are also something special, I love them by far the best on the market, even beating Citadels own.

AP also has 3 Inks in this range which match there 3 ''Dips'' in shades, again I haven't tried these and I'm unsure if I will as I love Citadels Nuln Oil.

Anyway do you use AP paints?


10 comments:

  1. I love them a lot along with Prince August's, all my sprays are AP but even in th enoraml range you can find plenty of very good references. I tend to prefer droppers to flip-tops because as you mention it, they keep fresh for a longer period and I don't think I waste much. I f I want real small quantities, I just take the paint with the tip of the brush from the dropper. I think these behave well when thinned and it's what I'm looking for first in a paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never tryed PA's paints, may have to order a few as I'm a real paint whore an just end up buying random paints on the of change I'll use it some day.

      Delete
  2. I've been quite happy with the current AP washes as good replacements for the now defunct citadel washes...in particular strong tone is a good match for Delvan mud IMO. I have yet to try any of their straight up paints but they sound pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The straight up paints are great, try Gunmetal and your'll never go back to other company's metallics.

      Delete
  3. Like Blue, I switched to their inks after the Citadel Washes were discontinued. Otherwise I tend to use Foundry triads ('cos I'm rubbish at mixing shades) along with a few old GW paints that haven't dried out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never used Foundrys system of triads as I'm quite stuck in my way.. plus they seem a little expensive.

      Delete
  4. I switched to army painter with the move to England, as movers won't pack liquids, and putting the paints in a box in the car's trunk (boot) wasn't an option for a trans-oceanic move. The small range, and correspondingly reasonable set up cost, was a determining factor in the purchase. Over-all I've been pleased with the range and the results, although I've supplemented with a few colors from the P3 range and a few citadel inks, although now that they've colored inks I may revisit that on the next move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you find the limited number of paints worked out? and do you use the AP Dip method with them or just the standard Block wash hightlight?

      Delete
  5. I'm an AP enthusiast and I love the quick shade washes. I've tired the dips but I'm not a fan, maybe I did it wrong but I found they obscured detail.

    The sprays are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key with the ''Dips'' is too just use it like a wash and brush it on rather then dipping the figure in to avoid pooling and detail lose or so I been told.

      Delete